# 8 on Kicktraq!

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Feb 1 15:39:13 EST 2013

On 31/01/2013 19:33, Monte Goulding wrote:
> Dropping back and the funding is coming in too slow.
>
> If you multiply yesterday's pledges by 29 and add the 32002 from the first day then we are looking at 282,446. Kicktraq still says we are trending above target but it won't in a few days if we don't pick things up.

Yep.  Overall, Kickstarter analysis (see Michael Wolf) is that 20%-30% is the
tipping point - most projects that fail, fail with less than 20% of their
goal; almost all that get past about 30%, succeed.

But I'm not sure that analysis, or Kicktraq's trends and projections, really
apply or help here, because of our unusual situation: there's a certain
community that already knows and loves LiveCode, most can be convinced that
this would be a good thing, and a certain proportion are prepared to donate to
help it happen - and almost all the members of that community are easily
reached, and probably already have been.

So that first heady rush that took it to 10% wasn't really indicative of the
same kind of progress as it would if made by some random new bright idea from
some new bunch of bright people that hardly anyone's heard of - ie the typical
at least tech Kickstarter project.  Rather, that represented the easy bit -
tapping the existing community.  I'm not saying that's over - many people are
still thinking about it, or still to be convinced, who may yet decide to
contribute; and some people who have contributed, may be prepared to
contribute more.  I'll expect more emails from Kevin like the one today at
regularly intervals over the next month.  But I'd guess a large proportion of
the funding that's available from the community has been tapped.

So now the hard part starts - the remaining 88% or whatever has to be beaten
out of the people who've mostly never heard of LiveCode (although some of them
have at least heard of HyperCard, and they should be the next softest target).
  In many ways the situation more closely resembles starting from zero to
raise £305K, than it does being 12% of the way towards £350K.

So fun though all the Kicktraq graphs, and stacks that go ping* are: what we
really need to do be doing is not watching the meter, but getting out on the
street and shouting the news.  If you have a following, shouting it to them;
and if you know someone with a bigger following, persuading that person to
shout it to their following.

How I wish I had a following.

Ben

*although, if the stack that went ping was easily distributable as an example
of the power of the language...