Trying to make economic sense of open sourcing livecode

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:16:24 EST 2013

On 02/01/2013 10:05 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 2/1/13 12:53 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> As being a dev tool, there will be a certain percentage who will want to
>> use it for proprietary deployment.
>
> And then there's the part how Apple won't accept any GPL apps in
> either the App Store or the Mac App Store, so anyone developing Apple
> products will need to purchase the commercial license.

That is slightly wrong:

where you wrote: "so anyone developing Apple products will need to
purchase the commercial license"

you should have written: "so anyone developing Apple products to be sold
through either the App Store or the Mac App Store will need to purchase
the commercial license"

I develop a product that works on Macintosh computers (I don't really
feel comfortable with the idea that I am "developing Apple Products")
that I sell via MacUpdate and my own website  -admittedly I do have a
commercial license for LC - but there would be no earthly reason why
someone could not develop a commercial product using GPL livecode for Macs:

Mind you it might seems a bit daft as any Tom, Dick or Harry could pick
up the code, change one image and market it as their own; so, arguably,
a developer would make exactly one sale before it was whisked away from
their control.

Richmond.