Apple

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 14:45:23 EST 2013

On 02/01/2013 09:26 PM, stephen barncard wrote:
> And they've dropped support and announced to everyone (yesterday) that it's
> not secure.
>
> Sounds like the beginning of the end of Java to me....

Apple may well have done that, but as they represent a smallish
proportion of people using Java globally
I would doubt it is the end of it.

Reading this :
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/31/apple-once-again-blocks-java-7-web-plug-in/

makes things seem less black-and-white than perhaps one has been led to
believe.

one of the commentators has this to say; "Flash, Java, what's next?
Internet access to Apple approved sites only?"

And there does seem to be a case for believing that Apple is getting too
bossy and nanny-stateish about what
is good for its end-users.

It behaves in exactly the same way with its Appl-store.

If this were the way to go (increasingly dictatorial control) why would
the people "we know and love", i.e. RunRev, be going in what
is almost the opposite direction?

Of course a nasty person somewhere round here (no, surely not?) might
suggest that RunRev tried the "one-size-fits-all"
route after the way it lurched around from Free 10-line capable versions
(up to version 2.0.1), 1 month fully functional demos, Free
RevMedia, no Free nothings, and so on, and realised that that really
wasn't doing much good; and so opted for the alternative
course of action.

Good things (of which Java and
Hypercard-Supercard-Metacard-RunRev-Livecode may be two) just keep
coming back.

Richmond.