use-livecode Digest, Vol 123, Issue 56

Earthednet-wp prothero at earthednet.org
Tue Dec 31 11:37:23 EST 2013

Jim,
One of the things that worries me when setting up a system where each new point (or line segment) is drawn relative to a previously drawn position is the possibility of errors creeping in due to rounding of non integer numbers. I am usually plotting decimal numbers and I always want to know the precise position of each point before I round it to an integer pixel location. For example, if an initial position is 1,1 and multiple moves are 1,1 but rounded down from 1.4,1.4 pretty soon you have lost a pixel. Say, 3 moves would end up, non rounded, to 4.2,4.2 but if the destination is rounded at each step, you would only have a net move to 3,3. The errors could add up.

Perhaps you've guarded against this, as I haven't looked at your code in that much detail. My approach to guard against this is to always calculate to destination point, then do the rounding.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org