Tracking LC problems with Linux

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 28 17:07:45 EST 2013

"I wonder if there is a way to get Debian functioning without a
desktop environment?"

Yes, easy.  Just do the install in the standard way and then when it asks
you what you want, don't check Desktop.  Boot and you will end up in a
terminal, and then do 'apt-get install' to install extra stuff like Xorg and
Fluxbox and so on.

"2.  How would one go about installing Livecode on a system without a GUI?"

Well, you would need a window manager.  Which means you would need Xorg for
it to run on.  What you would not need is a desktop environment.   So you
would need Xorg and metacity, for instance, but that's all you would need.

"2.1  I wonder if one could install Livecode on Debian running, say,
XFCE, and then
remove XFCE and call Livecode from the command line?"

Yes, I think you could.  But you mustn't remove xfwm, which will probably
happen if you use synaptic to remove it, it will probably take out the whole
lot.  If you do that, you need to install some kind of window manager such
as metacity or fluxbox or openbox.

Given that, just open a terminal, cd to the directory and then run the
programme by entering the command. In my case this is

/opt/runrev/livecodecommunity-6.1.1/livecodecommunity.x86