livecode on xubuntu 13.10

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 06:44:47 EST 2013

On 27/12/13 13:37, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> I've never had a problem installing Debian, but think in your case I would
> try either Debian or Slackware in a VM.  Then if it still does it with XFCE,
> I'd first try changing the window manager.  You can move to metacity easily
> enough - just install it, then enter 'metacity --replace' from a terminal.
> If that does not work, maybe try a completely different WM which is not
> XFCE, like Fluxbox or Openbox to eliminate XFCE as the source.  Then at
> least you can tie down what is going on.
>
> Maybe even KDE too, though that is rather an heretical thought on this
> forum!

Why is that heretical?

I, personally don't like KDE, but I don't see why it should be objected
to as such.

> I agree about Ubuntu basically being a test-bed.  Slackware has its points
> but has always been a little too basic for my taste.

I do feel that your use of the word 'taste' is far better and more
accurate than your
use of the word 'scientific'.

>    Debian has
> disadvantages - particularly the non-free stuff, which can be a pain.  I am
> running testing, which is probably not a good idea in a production
> environment, but have had no more than minor irritations on upgrades to do
> with privileges on usb sticks and privileges on shutdown.  Easy enough to
> correct, but irritating that one has to.  I've never had a Debian install go
> through and then not boot.  Maybe on one early version there was a Grub
> problem?  Can't remember now, whatever, if there was one it wasn't a show
> stopper.
>
> XFCE is very understandable choice.  The newer versions are nice, quick,
> easy to configure, out of your way.  They have occupied the same market
> niche as the old Gnome used to.

Indeed; and, recently I gave up Xubuntu for UbuntuStudio, which has XFCE
as its window manager
and seems less twitchy than Xubuntu.

Richmond.