rawKeyDown slightly cooked

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 17:22:38 EST 2013

On 24/12/13 00:10, Richmond wrote:
> On 23/12/13 23:20, dunbarx at aol.com wrote:
>> Richmond,
>>

>> I live in the United States. All these issues would go away if
>> everyone would just learn English.
>>

>> Sheesh.
>>

>> Craig
>>

> This means that Livecode does NOT really trap rawKey codes at all, and
> that 'rawKeyDown' and
> 'rawKeyUp' are just fudges.
>
> If I write with a US English keyboard layout, an Armenian keyboard
> layout (that is giving me 12 figure
> 'keycodes'), or a Russian keyboard layout I am still typing with the
> same physical keyboard and it is sending the same electronic signals
> down the wire into the computer.
>
> I have been naive enough to believe that:
>
> "Handle the rawKeyDown message if you want to intercept raw events
> from the keyboard, or from a mouse wheel, or if you want to handle
> keys that aren't mapped to any character."
>
> obviously that "just isn't so", to put it extremely politely.
>
> Now rawKey codes should be exactly that, they should not be 'cooked'
> by being strained through
> somebody's keyboard layout.
>
> Funny how RunRev are shouting jolly stuff from the rooftops anent
> getting Unicode to behave itself
> better when something that is actually fairly fundamental to that is
> still not what it should be.
>
> Richmond.

In fact, I just cranked up the G3 iMac slot-loader running RR/LC 2 on
Mac OS 9.2.2 and read that
'rawKeyDown' worked on Mac OS 'Classic' just as well as elsewhere;

so wrote a script in a stack:

on rawKeyDown RKD
    put RKD into fld "GGG"
end rawKeyDown

and it DIDN'T work.

So, quite a few wobbly bits lying around and about.

Richmond.