WYSIWYG is Wonky!

Marty Knapp martyknappster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 15:30:48 EST 2013

Yes, I have a routine to adjust fonts/sizes for all my controls on
stacks depending on what platform they're opened on. But this particular
stack will allow the user to spec their own fonts and sizes for the
document that they create. The problem occurs when printing. On Mac
there's no problem - what you see on screen is what you get in the
printout. (though on 6.5.1rc1 there are some issues with text cutoff on
the right margin.) On Windows (only tested on 7) the printout does not
look like the screen. And using formatForPrinting yields unpredictable
results for me - some fonts are better, others are worse.

One thing I don't understand is that on Windows if I print with
formatForPrinting set to false, the fonts print very nicely and with
(seemingly) no less resolution than when you set formatForPrinting to
true. And they're TrueType fonts so I thought (obviously incorrectly)
that screen fonts and printer fonts were a thing of the past. It sure
seems like we ought to have WYSIWYG printing on Windows at this stage of
the game.

I did file a couple of bug reports: 11606 and 11607. And added a note to
an old bug report - 2520

Marty