Up, Down and Sideways

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 15:02:16 EST 2013

On 15/12/13 21:56, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 12/15/13 4:43 AM, Richmond wrote:
>> when I'm pressing the
>> ctrlKey if
>> the IDE doesn't pick that up and I end up with numToChar(1073) rather
>> than numToChar(11744) - Aha, the Documentation seems to be telling
>> big, fat porkies again:
>>
>> "Returns the state of the Control key." supposedly on Linux, Mac and
>> Win.
>
> One more thing to consider: the Mac does not notify the app when the
> control, command, option, or shift key goes down alone. They are
> combined into a single keypress when an alpha-numeric character is
> typed. You can't catch them alone.
>
> So the docs don't really lie, but they do assume you are typing
> Control along with another character.

However, if I press CTRL + X, I get "x" just as if I didn't press CTRL
at all in this sort of script:

on rawKeyDown RK
    if RK = 100 then
        if ctrlKey() is down then
           put "Q" after fld "TEXTBOCKS"
        else
           put "x" into fld "TEXTBOCKS"
    end if
end rawKeyDown

Howeevr, the CMD/Apple/Windows key DOES work the way I want, so that is
what I am now using.

Richmond.