Up, Down and Sideways

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Thu Dec 12 18:57:17 EST 2013

On 12/12/2013 02:31 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> And that's why we need an authoritative source.  I've never looked into
> it deeply enough to find which component is handling the Alt keys.  But
> if it's not Gnome, it may be something lower (though almost certainly
> not the kernel), or something higher (possible Ubuntu's keybindings
> interface, which I had thought were inherited from Gnome, but may be
> part of what they get from Debian).

These seem to be common shortcuts under Linux. I use them under KDE. I
like alt+drag to resize in particular, and note that the only way I can
grab and move the LiveCode tools palette is using alt. It may not be on
by default in all distros. I can turn it on and off as well as change
the modifier key. I have seen references in forum posts which indicated
that at least some KDE users who had never used these shortcuts had to
turn them on.

When I change the modifier key for window resizing and moving to "Meta"
(option), Richmond's script runs as expected. LiveCode works as stated,
so long as the OS isn't hijacking the signal for its own purposes
further up the hierarchy.

Conflicts in creating shortcuts are always a possibility and require a
little caution, and it's good to make people aware of the high
probability that "alt+mouseX" will be unavailable to LiveCode under
Linux, but I think it's not quite right to suggest it's broken.

Warren