[OT] Ubuntu Touch emulator

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 15:40:00 EST 2013

On 3.12.2013 22:20, Roger Eller wrote:
> Having never ever released a mobile app for sale, I can not say you will
> become rich.  BUT... within that larger potential audience, there may be
> more people willing to try it for 99 cents than you may think.  Yours is a
> unique enough app, and a pleasant looking design, that people my go for it
> out of curiosity.  AND a touch screen makes it ideal for using a virtual
> keyboard... If you go this route, I think your number 1 comment from users
> will be "how can I use this as a standard Android keyboard?", and to that
> end...
>
> RunRev, when can we make widgets, and keyboards, custom launchers, etc.
> using LiveCode?  Or will we ever see this?

Oddly enough, when I was helping my wife set up her iPad, and a Cyrillic
keyboard
(my wife is a Bulgarian Professor of Linguistics), the thought of how
one might use
Livecode to do just that did cross my mind - but that goes for Linux,
Mac and Windows desktops
as well.

In the Summer I visited my Mum and Dad who stay in the South-West of
England. Dad took me
up to the local library where, in a fit of daft extravagance, the local
council had bought a touch-screen
computer so pensioners can go in and look at photos of the place before
the 2nd World War.

Jolly nice too; but, having bought the thing they had paid some
unemployed fellow who had promoted himself
as a "computer expert" (and those are few and far between whatever
people may say), whose first
question on booting the machine up into Ubuntu 12.10 was "Where's
Windows?" He had then installed
a pirate copy of Windows XP, made a load of rubbish with Powerpoint, and
ran off with his payment
before the council realised that:

a. He hadn't done anything beyond make a slide-show of photos: no
search, linear presentation.

b. Filled their computer with stuff which would get them in big trouble
(pirate Windows, Office and so on).

I backed up all the digitised photos (at least a pensioner who hung
around the library had done a good job there), scrubbed the hard drive,
reinstalled Xubuntu (cannot stand the 'funny' GUI on Ubuntu), and
gave a retired army Colonel a copy of the old, Free RevMedia I had
stored; a few lessons, and he said he couldn't manage things.

Now, if they can find some relatively computer-competent 16-17 year old
by Summer next year, I have offered
to spend 4-5 days getting him/her up-and-running to create a hyperlinked
stack with all the digitised photos,
plus pots of scanned documents the Colonel is digitising over the winter.

Now, what would be fun would be a touch-screen on-screen keyboard to
allow all those pensioners to
type in their memories, daft stories, and so forth, to create a
repository of local information which may yet
be quite useful, especially after those people have died.

A very large proportion of those people have acute arthritis, and
knobbly fingers as a result, so quite
simply cannot cope with a conventional keyboard. An on-screen, large
keyboard (and the thing
has a socking great monitor) would do the trick.

Richmond.