blur a background

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at icloud.com
Thu Aug 29 13:18:03 EDT 2013

Hmm. Except I'm not really working with images. At least, I'm trying to avoid that if possible. Maybe I should have explained a little better.

I've got a stack that will eventually be a mobile app. I have to toggle a screen overlay of sorts that will present to the user only certain words to tap on. In order to make those words more apparent, I'd like to blur/darken everything else in the background. I have the darkening part working by simply using a gray colored graphic with blending turned on. But this doesn't make the clickable words "pop out" like I'd like them to. One example off the top of my head is the way Apple's update Reminders app works on the iPad under iOS 7. Not sure if you've seen it, but when you open it, your reminder list titles are listed on the left, with the reminders in the selected list showing on the right. The background of the app now as some kind of blur effect applied to it so the wallpaper on the home screen actually shows through.

Any way to do something like that in LC? Could this code provide a blurred gray image that I could then make semi-transparent? I actually tried it for fun, but it didn't seem to work. But my image processing skills are basically nil, so maybe it could be tweaked a bit to work?

Thanks,
Chris