The encoding property

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Mon Aug 26 20:49:05 EDT 2013

My goal is to get a list of the valid property names for each Livecode
object (stack, card, field, etc)

I'm not using "the properties" because it does not return a complete list
of property names.

So my solution, in pseudo code is:

for each propertyname in the propertynames
   Get the propertyname of the templateStack
   If no error, add propertyname to the list of valid stack properties
   Repeat the last two steps for the templateCard, templateField, etc

Seems to work and takes only 100 msecs, but if there's a more
straightforward way I'm more than happy to hear of it.

I'm taking it one step further to figure out which properties are read-only
by executing "set the <propertyname> of the templatexxxxx to the
<propertyname> of the templatexxxx" in a try/catch loop.  If I get error
code 361, it means the property cannot be set.  There are a few other
errors I have to deal with but that's essentially it.

The final step I'd really like to take is to get a list of the synonyms, if
any, for each property.  I had hoped to use Bjornke's db for that since
there is a synonyms column.  However, the data in it seems to include some
non-displaying chars plus it's not very reliable - e.g. some properties
name themselves as a synonym.  None of that is Bjornke's fault, it's just
the weird format of the dictionary.  Still working on ways round that.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>