The encoding property

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Mon Aug 26 19:13:53 EDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Björnke von Gierke <bvg at mac.com> wrote:

> i think your list is overzealous. For example considering "abbr",
> "abbrev", "abbreviated" (from teh abbreviated docu entry):
>
> Note: The abbreviated keyword is implemented internally as a property, and
> appears in the propertyNames. However, it cannot be used as a property in
> an expression, nor with the set command.

Yep, I alluded to that in my earlier post.

> There's quite a few of these kewyord-properties maybe try to match against
> all entries, not just property entries?

I see they're categorized as "keyword" in the dictionary so I'll check for
that as well as property.  Which reminds me - is there a way to get a list
of LC keywords?

> What about desktop, are you sure that's not supposed to be "desktop
> folder" (various folders: engine, documents, etc.)?

propertynames includes "desktop" but not "desktop folder"

> Statusicons (and it's entourage) are marked as "beta" in the releasenotes
> (been like that for years).

Maybe they should be removed from the propertynames?  I noticed "tabalign"
in there too  - it was mentioned in a recent post on the ability to define
right-aligned tabs.  Seems like properties which have not been implemented
shouldn;t be in propertynames.

> Said all that, there's certainly valid ones, like columndel (rowdel),
> because it's a valid syntax but not documented. But I suggest you weed the
> list down manually

It was very quick to get the initial list thanks to your db and I will
change my script to look for keywords as well as properties but narrowing
it down manually requires time I don't have.  Maybe someone at RunRev will
use the list as a starting point to get the dictionary up to date at some
point.

I guess it's possible that there are valid properties that aren't included
in the propertynames and I have no idea how to deal with that..

At the end of the day, what I need is a complete list of the valid
properties for each LC object. I appreciate that's a fairly unusual
requirement and  I know there have been discussions on the engine forum
about this and it's apparently not as easy as it might seem.

In the meantime, the method I'm using (issuing a get the <propname> of the
templateField/Button,Stack/Card.etc within a try/catch block for each line
in the propertynames) is the closest I can get and takes 100 milliseconds
to execute so maybe that's the way to do it in the engine.