Any ideas on working out number of characters(approx) that can be entered into a field

Scott Morrow scott at elementarysoftware.com
Mon Aug 26 04:25:27 EDT 2013

You should be able to fill each "palm card" more or less exactly.  This script should get you started.

-- copy all the styled text into the first palm card field
  set the htmlText of fld "PalmCard" to the htmlText of fld "AllText"
  -- the text needs to be broken into palm card sized chunks
  put 1 into tCardCounter
  put the number of chars of fld "PalmCard" into tNumOfChars
  put the formattedHeight of char 1 to tNumOfChars of fld "PalmCard" into tCharHeight
  put (the height of fld "PalmCard") into tFieldHeight
  REPEAT until tFieldHeight >= tCharHeight
     put the number of chars of fld "PalmCard" into tNumOfChars
     put the formattedHeight of char 1 to tNumOfChars of fld "PalmCard" into tCharHeight
     -- remove extra characters and put the remaining into a new field on a new card
     REPEAT with c = 1 to tNumOfChars
        IF  the formattedHeight of char 1 to c of fld "PalmCard" >= tFieldHeight - 24 THEN -- <-24> is wiggle room
           put the htmlText of char c to -1 of fld "PalmCard" into tHtmlText
           delete char c to -1 of fld "PalmCard"
           clone cd tCardCounter
           put tCardCounter + 1 into tCardCounter
           set the htmlText of fld "PalmCard" to tHtmlText -- put the text that didn't fit into the new field
           exit REPEAT
        END IF
     END REPEAT -- remove extra characters and put the remaining into a new field
  END REPEAT -- text in the last field fits

--
Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)