Post command help (was: https problem)

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 06:14:55 EDT 2013

On 23 Aug 2013, at 07:59, FlexibleLearning.com <admin at FlexibleLearning.com> wrote:

> I just tried "put the libURLSetSSLVerification" on Windows and got a compile
> error.
>
> Without a dictionary entry, however, I am only guessing that it would return
> True/False.

Hugh,

libURLSetSSLVerification is a message handler (command), not a function. It sets a local script variable in libUrl.

You can view the libUrl script like this:

   edit script of button "revLibUrl" of stack "revLibrary"

> Meanwhile, access to data supplied by an https url seems unavailable when
> using Mac OS X.

I tried the following (OSX 10.8.4, LC 6.1.1. rc2, no use of libURLSetSSLVerification)

put url "https://www.google.com"

It put the page content.

According to the docs, since version 4.5, the engine automatically uses the OS root certificates on Mac and Windows. In theory, there should be no reason to use libURLSetSSLVerification, and using it as a workaround potentially creates security risks. That might be one reason for leaving it out of the docs.

However, I'm a little out of touch with these issues these days. I know that https connections through a proxy were not supported in the past. I'm assuming that is still the case.

Cheers
Dave Cragg