revFontUnload Fail

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Aug 20 19:26:15 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com>wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2013 5:53 PM, "J. Landman Gay" wrote:
> >
> > On 8/20/13 4:33 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:
> >>
> >> Do you have any other apps open that might be using the font?
>
> Nope.  I even made sure that the font is not installed on my system, so my
> system is the same as the end users systems.

Roger,

What can happen (and what Monte is alluding to) is that any other
application that is open and gets a list of available fonts may get a lock
on the font file. Since revLoadFont loads the font into the global space,
all applications will see it listed when asking the OS for a list of
available fonts.

I've seen this issue every so often with customers when they try to install
updates to my application. I have a password font that gets locked by other
apps on the system. That is what led me to investigate how revFontLoad
works on Windows. Back when the external Windows 2000 was supported.
Windows 2000 doesn't have the ability to load a font specifically for an
app which is why revFontLoad works the way it does.

Soon (hopefully), thanks to the pull request that Monte sent in, we will be
able to keep the font loading specific to the app, not the entire OS.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems