community vs commercial for internal distribution of iOS apps

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 20 11:41:59 EDT 2013

Ludovic Thébault wrote:

 >> Yes, there's no encryption or password protection on community
 >> edition stacks but the GPL does not accept being able to extract
 >> the code in some way from the binary as sufficient (you can reverse
 >> engineer/dis-assemble almost any binary you like). You have to give
 >> them the code in such a form that they can easily re-build a
 >> modified binary for themselves.

I haven't played with the Community Edition in some months, but I had
the impression that standalones have been compiling to a tokenized form
in which the scripts aren't directly readable, no?

 > So, it's not needed to give the livecode stack, but just the livecode
 > script ?

In LiveCode, source is a combination of code and binary objects.  I
suspect GPL compliance would require the complete source stack file,
since the scripts alone wouldn't likely be sufficient to fulfill the
Four Freedoms, which include the freedoms to modify the work and
redistribute it for any purpose.

And FWIW, as I understand it the issue with GPL vs Apple's app store is
that their app store limits the number of downloads per account, while
the GPL guarantees unlimited distribution, making the two logically
incompatible.

For myself, I follow the advice given to me by one of my FOSS advocate
friends:  keep a license proprietary until you've exhausted all reasons
not to use GPL, because once that genie's out of the bottle there's no
putting it back.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World