LC server experience return anyone ?

RunRevPlanet feed at smpcsupport.com
Tue Aug 20 09:45:00 EDT 2013

Hi jbv,

I used to host a LiveCode Server (with MySQL) based site on Thor in 2012.
Two reasons caused me to switch to an Unmanaged VPS.

* The increasing performance problems in the later half of 2012.

* All my clients are here in Australia, and the round trip to servers in the
USA meant too much lag (even when Thor was having a good day and working
well).

With the "VPSBible" (search for it on Google) I managed to setup an
Unmanaged VPS with LAMP and LiveCode Server. Nothing fancy: 10 GBs Disk
Space, 50 GBs Monthly Transfer, 512 MBs RAM Guaranteed, 32 bit CentOS.

Knowing little about Apache meant I carefully followed the instructions in
the LiveCodeNotes-5_0_2-Server.pdf Deployment Notes and it worked after some
experimentation. I did have had to make sure the permissions of the
livecode-server.so file were set to allow it to execute. Thinking about it
now it seems relatively easy, but at the time it was quite confusing as I
had never done it before.

Performance wise I have nothing to compare with, but I know that that my web
app which is going through MySQL for every page refresh has an average delay
(on the server) of between 50 and 100 ms which is good enough. (Of course,
this changes when the number of simultaneous users increases.)

Unless I get many more simultaneous users, I plan to stay with a VPS because
it costs less than a dedicated server and there is always the option of
getting a higher speced VPS since I am currently on a basic level.

On an intangible note, the feeling of control when having your own VPS, in
contrast to shared hosting is worth every dollar. (Assuming the VPS is from
a company that does not try to squeeze too many users onto each piece of
hardware.) After having tried it I don't think I would ever go back to
shared hosted environment for any "mission critical" web site or apps.

Good luck with it.

-----
Scott McDonald
"Components, Controls, Tools and Resources for LiveCode"
www.runrevplanet.com