HTML entities not displaying on Chinese Windows

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 06:42:13 EDT 2013

On 08/20/2013 01:51 AM, Peter Bogdanoff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The music history e-book we've been working on for the last couple of years has gotten to the point of having some people in China now translate large parts of it to Chinese. However when they open the compiled version on their Windows machines they see funny characters wherever we use an HTML entity in the HTMLtext of fields. Em dash, double quotation marks, accents, etc., all show this.
>
> In our classroom use of it, Chinese students at UCLA don't complain about this problem. I don't know much about system settings in Windows, but I see Chinese characters in the system settings for some of the UCLA students whom I have to do other kinds of tech support.
>
> What could be different about the Windows systems in Shanghai--at least two different people report the same issue?

Well the first thing is to reflect on the fact that, rather like the 2
Koreas there are 2 Chinas: The People's Republic of China and the
Republic of China (a.k.a. Taiwan), and they have no great love for one
another. Now they have both developed their own ways of representing
Chinese on computers . . .

Mainland China uses the Guobiao encoding system (1,2 or 4 byte).

Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau use Big5 (1 or 2 byte)

There is also the Unicode method . . .
  and here's a groovy phrase I found trawling around on the Merry
Internet: "The conversion between traditional and simplified Chinese is
usually problematic" . . . Hey Nonny Nonny Nonny Nooooooooooo.

Now I don't what version of Windows all these Chinese speaking people
might be using, but Windows has
a history of multiple encoding strategies that is like a minefield.

Sorry to be such a damp squish.

Richmond.

P.S. You will probably be best going for Unicode encoding as this seems
to work (on the whole) on any version
of Windows from XP onwards.