Unicode in variables

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Aug 19 15:59:04 EDT 2013

On 8/19/13 2:43 PM, Devin Asay wrote:

>> When I run uniEncode(tData,"UTF8") on it, the high-ascii characters
>> are in the variable watcher as "+" and an unprintable box. Can I
>> assume the real character is in there? Will it work for text
>> chunking, etc? When I split it into an array, will the keys be
>> intact?
>
> I would do all of the chunking and splitting before you do uniEncode.
> Think of UTF8 as a reliable storage format, and only convert them
> when you are ready to display them.

I can't. I need to do lookups on the keys. The keys have to match the
text as it is displayed in fields.

Basically, I'm storing a glossary. The keys are the glossary terms, some
of which are unicode. The definitions are the elements. The user points
to a word in a field and I need to retrieve the definition by matching
the displayed field text (which is unicodetext) with the glossary key.

I can't make it work.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com