A peculiar character substitution problem with URL

Jonathan Lynch jonathandlynch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 12:04:28 EDT 2013

This is just the strangest thing. On some websites - but not all - trying
to get the html of that website using "get url" or "put url" is causing
some characters to be substituted.

These are not obscure unicode characters. They seem to be characters in the
upper ANSI set.

For example, on this web page:
http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/wildfires/facts.asp

If I use the following code:

put URL "http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/wildfires/facts.asp" into field
1

The right single quote character --> ’ <-- ( which is character number 146)
gets converted into ’

I do not understand why ’ becomes ’

It does not do this with copy and paste, but it does this when I get the
URL. Only, it does not do this with all websites, but it does it with ours,
which is extremely inconvenient for my project.

Are there any thoughts on what would cause this?

I am using version 5.5.1

thanks,

Jonathan Lynch

--