Sprite Kit, Box2D, Performance and LiveCode's Approach to Game Coding

Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu endernafi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 02:01:25 EDT 2013

Dear LiveCode Gurus, hello all...

As you know, Apple introduced a new framework named Sprite Kit targeting mainly game developing, 2D of course.
It's quite promising and not just for games, either.
Particle systems and physics engine could serve business apps, too, with nice little effects and sleek animations.
It probably will do a lot of damage to Cocos2D, Box2D, Sparrow
and in time maybe a possible threat to gaming consoles {see link #1 at the bottom of the post}.

What do you think RunRev's approach will be to this move?
Are we going to continue with Box2D which is merely a physics engine not a full gaming framework?
Box2D's wide support for Desktop, Android, etc. is a strong point, though.
But how about accessing that flawless animations of iOS 7 via LiveCode syntax and some support for Sprite Kit?
Do RunRev realize the potential of gaming {especially indie games, 2D, 2.5D, platform, side-scrolling, top-down etc.}?
I don't have any well-studied statistics under my sleeve
but huge successes of Cut the Rope, Angry Birds and other games akin is hard to ignore.
Even Apple did realize the importance of gaming.
I'm quoting from Steffen's article here:
"The Biggie: Apple acknowledges games!

Apple finally understands the significance of games for their platforms! Sprite Kit is acknowledgement of that fact. Rejoice!"

And one more thing {this could be a separate topic, actually, but anyways}:
What's with the performance issues with LiveCode?
I know it's not a native low-level language but still…
Some research has shown that Javascript is 50-times slower than C++.
I assume that we would see same results if LiveCode's compared to C++.
Yet, Javascript is capable of doing some amazing things like Mozilla's Citadel port.
{http://www.unrealengine.com/html5/}
But here we are; not able to even effectively live-resize images on an iPhone.
Try for yourself:
{http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14259#p70375}

Was this topic too inconsiderate? Sorry, if it is.
I'm not a decent programmer, I know that.
I can't write my own game engine, I don't know even where to start.
And I'm not willing to enter Objective-C's or C++'s obscure environments, again.
I love LiveCode, with it's many unique features.
I love its IDE, its speed, ability to script right into the objects.

However, I had to turn down 4 fairly-big game projects in last couple of months.
We don't have physics engine, particle support, strong animations, 3D, etc.
But most importantly, performance issues are a real deal-breaker.
I couldn't dare to accept them.
Any of them would rotate the wheels of my business for at least a year, possibly longer :)
Interestingly, day after day the number of my business-app-demanding customers shrinks
where game projects on my table are increasing.
I assume that I'm not alone here.
It's a global trend, I think.

Don't you wanna see some 10-million sold, fluent and addictive games in the LiveCode showcase page?
I know I do :)
It'll make proud all of us.

I need some clarifications or insights of more experienced developers -like you- to draw a roadmap for my company.
What do you think about these, I'd love to hear your opinions.

Links related to Sprite Kit:
http://www.learn-cocos2d.com/2013/06/apple-create-spritekit/
http://www.imore.com/ios-7-preview-sprite-kit
https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/GraphicsAnimation/Conceptual/SpriteKit_PG/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40013043-CH1-SW1