Handling of final delimter (was Re: "this me"?)

Mike Kerner MikeKerner at roadrunner.com
Sun Aug 11 22:55:28 EDT 2013

Monte, Mark,
Yes, I think I like a stack/script property better, too.  Great idea.

Jacque and Richard...
So you're basically thinking we should change words, not the behavior?  Why
not just change the documentation, then?  In the meantime, if the behavior
is to be left alone, there are a variety of functions (especially the
database functions) that have to be fixed to make them work this way.

Also remember that text editors don't behave this way, either.  Empty
<CR>'s at the end of a line still trigger a page break.  That seems far
more correct than having to figure out of a delimiter/terminator should be
significant or not.

Adding a list datatype (and true pointers) would both be great, but one of
the things that has always made xTalk so awesome and amazing is way that
datatypes are generally context-sensitive and implicit nearly everywhere.
It's much less of a world where I have to tell the interpreter/compiler
what I mean, or put .toString() everywhere, and more of it having to do
just that little bit of work for me - in other words, it has to be just a
bit smarter than the table I'm typing at right now.  If, by creating more
defined/restrictive datatypes I'm going more the direction of a traditional
language, then LC loses something that, I believe, makes it extra special
when deciding between it and something like Xojo.