revOnline and Open Source

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 2 04:53:17 EDT 2013

Monte Goulding <monte at sweattechnologies.com> wrote:

>> It's nice when you guys get involved. I totally agree with the logic behind what you said by the way. Unfortunately this stuff isn't as logical as we often assume it is ;-)

I also think the law in this area is bonkers and agree with the more common sense view of intellectual property Richmond and Heather are describing.  However, it's also worth considering that something published without a license may not belong to the person who published it.  It's also possible that someone would deliberately remove or change someone else's license but that would likely place most/all of the liability for subsequent infringement on them.

If you're building a business around some code, or building apps for others who are, then you need to be certain you have the right to distribute (and usually modify) all of the code you use.  The flip side to that is anyone publishing code that's happy for others to use it in that way needs to explicitly state that with a license.

I do think there's a place for anyone that facilitates code sharing to help raise awareness and make it easy for people to do the right thing.