revOnline and Open Source

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 1 16:54:24 EDT 2013

Heather Laine wrote:

 > Call me naive but.. if you don't want to share your code, why on
 > earth would you upload it to revOnline?

There may be many reasons:

- The stack may be a tutorial, and while the code techniques it
describes may be shareable there may be libraries or other code driving
the presentation may have been derived from a proprietary work.

- The stack may be a demo of a proprietary work.

- It may contain content which has restrictions on use.

And with those for which the author did intend to share, what exactly do
we mean by that?  GPL?  Apache?  MIT?  Public domain?  Something else?

Each type of sharing comes with its own rights and responsibilities.

I like Kevin's suggestion of having a default of CC0 unless the author
specifies their license, as it leaves everyone's options as open as
anyone might want them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World