revOnline and Open Source

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Aug 1 16:27:41 EDT 2013

On 01/08/2013, at 11:45 PM, Mark Wilcox <m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> 1) CC0 - the creative commons public domain equivalent with fallbacks (you can't give up your rights to your work in the same ways everywhere in the world) is better for software than a simple public domain declaration.

Yes, unlike other CC licenses CC0 is recommended for software.

> 2) You'd do this by making it part of the terms and conditions of use.  I'm not at all sure about the legality of retrospectively applying it to content that's already been uploaded without explicit permission, even if you broadcast a change to the T's & C's.  What fraction of the content is regularly updated?  How complex would it be to get permission for the existing stuff?  That said, only new stuff having an automatic CC0 license would be much better than doing nothing.

What I'd like to see is a license picker as part of the upload process with the option to enter your own. The chosen license is then displayed where you might download the stack. All current stacks just get listed as unspecified license until owners update them.

This whole topic has made me wonder if revOnline handles password protected stacks in community nicely... it should probably state that the stack is password protected and only available so download in commercial.

Cheers

--
Monte Goulding

mergExt - There's an external for that!