revOnline and Open Source

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 11:35:27 EDT 2013

On 08/01/2013 03:56 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
> I think most of the people sharing on revOnline are happy for their ideas
> to be used, otherwise they wouldn't have uploaded the stacks. However I do
> agree that some legal clarification is a good idea. How about we state
> that everything on revOnline is automatically public domain, *unless* the
> author of the stack places a clear notice on the stack that declares
> copyright and an alternative license of their choice (they can use
> whatever they like but only if they say so clearly)?
>
> This is just a suggestion for feedback, not policy yet, so let me know
> what you think.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin Miller ~ kevin at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
> LiveCode: Everyone can code

Well, Kevin, at the risk of putting everybody's back up (surely not),
here's what I think:

revOnline should split into two:

1. A version of revOnline where all stacks, plugins, code-snippets and
so on are covered
by some sort of copyright notice, so that all would-be "takers" are
aware that they will
have to jump through some sort of leagl hoop to do so.

2. A version of revOnline where everything is either Open Source (and
covered by an Open
Source fair-use document) or completely FREE.

Doing this will free contributors to either of these versions of
revOnline from having to spend ages
on sorting out licensing documents for stacks that conatin possibly as
little as half-a-dozen lines of code.

Richmond.