revOnline and Open Source

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 10:10:06 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> Dr. Hawkins wrote:

>> As the author of the seminal Economic paper on the subject, I chose
>> "viral" and "public" quite deliberately.

> That's certainly your right, or anyone's right, regardless of any academic
> credentials.

It's also the term used in the literature.

> Just the same, terms like "viral" and "infect" are unnecessarily
> provocative.

I don't think they're provocative so much as descriptive.

>> I also wouldn't release or contribute any code to anything under GPL3
>> (I have under GP2).  The patent gotchas are just to risky.

> What are your patent concerns?

There are some automatic assignments of rights and revocation of
licensuree in the GPL3.  I'm just not risking those in a license with
as much ambiguity as the GPL; I'm not even looking at the specifics
before going far, far away.
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462