revOnline and Open Source

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 1 09:10:33 EDT 2013

Kevin Miller wrote:
> I think most of the people sharing on revOnline are happy for their ideas
> to be used, otherwise they wouldn't have uploaded the stacks. However I do
> agree that some legal clarification is a good idea. How about we state
> that everything on revOnline is automatically public domain, *unless* the
> author of the stack places a clear notice on the stack that declares
> copyright and an alternative license of their choice (they can use
> whatever they like but only if they say so clearly)?
>
> This is just a suggestion for feedback, not policy yet, so let me know
> what you think.

I like it, provided folks understand what public domain means (include a
simple definition?).

Your proposed solution seems the best of all worlds:  simplicity for
those who don't care about defining licenses, while allowing those who
do to choose a license appropriate for their goals.

Gets my vote.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World