Faceless LiveCode App for CLI on Mac OS X and Windows 7

Bob Cole bobcole at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 28 16:41:33 EDT 2013

I am looking for an example of how to create a utility program in LC to process a text file on Mac OS X and Windows 7.
I want to put it in a faceless processing stream perhaps with pipes or redirection or options. Such as:
    cat textfile1 | myLCprogram | more
or
    myLCprogram < textfile1 > textfile2
or
    myLCprogram -f textfile1 -o textfile2

I have read the dictionary about open process and open file but I don't know how to save the LC program without triggering the ui.
What I need is an example of how myLCprogram is structured or wrapped in a shell script that can be used as cli command.
    Do I need to use -ui somewhere?
    Do I save myLCprogram as an .app/.exe and run it in a shell like a cgi with a shebang (#! livecode -ui)?
    Does this only work with LiveCode Server?
I am a bit confused by it.  A simple example would help tremendously.
Thanks in advance.
Bob