Strange compile error

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Apr 25 18:43:05 EDT 2013

On 4/25/13 3:32 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Hi Jacque,
> Yes, definitely abbrev name as in field "myField".  However, there's no way
> for the compile process to know the contents of pitemname at runtime so I
> don't think that's what is causing the error.  As mentioned, adding the
> word "control" before pitemname makes everything work but also causes me
> more consternation since - control field "myField" - is not a valid
> expression, at least I don't think it is.

Okay, too weird. All I can think of is that during compilation the
engine doesn't know what will be in the variable, so it errors because
you haven't specified that it's a control. Then during runtime, the
engine strips out the extra reference in order to keep us from hurting
ourselves. Maybe. I know it ignores a few other duplicate (or missing)
terms.

Mark The RunRev would know, or maybe we can get Mark The Wieder to comb
through the source code and find out. In fact, keeping him busy might
save us from some of those bad puns.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com