put URL destroys my file

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Tue Apr 16 10:58:34 EDT 2013

On 04/16/2013 08:58 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Working with LC 4.5.4 I have a dmg file uploaded on my webserver. When
> downloading it on a mac with a browser via ftp, the dmg keeps in good order.
> But when doing
>
> put URL pUrl into URL ("binfile:" & tFile)
>
> the format of the file seems to be destroyed and my mac thinks of it as
> being a text file. The same procedure with a exe file on windows machine
> works fine.
>
> What do I oversee? Thanks for any hint
>
> Tiemo

Does it actually not work at all? Assuming it maintains its 'dmg'
extension, can you right-click on it and open it properly from the
contextual menu, or change its info? It may be that without the
webserver and browser passing on the mime-type to the OS that the
problem is that the OS can't determine what kind of file it is, and
therefore it it seen as just a text file. In this case, setting the
fileType to "empty" (see user notes in the dictionary) might get it to
mount. I found that images saved from LiveCode weren't recognized as
such by OS X, when I was using it and wanted to open in a text editor.
It may be that LiveCode saves things as "text" files by default in OS X.

Good luck,

Warren