What's the best way to store data that one iOS app sends to another?

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 16 06:41:45 EDT 2013

From: Geoff Canyon <gcanyon at gmail.com>
To: How to use LiveCode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 16 April 2013, 9:14
Subject: Re: What's the best way to store data that one iOS app sends to another?

> Any thoughts on https://www.firebase.com/

I've heard some good things about Firebase but it's primarily about sending small chunks of realtime data. Is that what you want for your app? The REST API doesn't look well supported for the realtime aspect, since I don't know how you'd get callbacks to work with LiveCode on iOS/Android (without using an external).
> I haven't written any code yet for either possibility, but the language on
> firebase's web site makes sense to me -- with one (or two) question(s).

> 1. Am I correct that hitting a REST API from LC involves setting parameters
> for the http headers and then using https?

Yes, although for Firebase I'm not even sure you need to set anything up in the HTTP headers - looks like LiveCode will do GET, PUT, POST and DELETE for you without setting custom headers - worth a go. To do PATCH looks like you need libURLSetCustomHTTPHeaders, assuming that works on iOS/Android - a quick Google found a forum post that said it didn't but that may be out of date. Perhaps one of the LiveCode mobile experts will confirm the current situation on custom HTTP methods for you?

> 2. Would (1) work on an iOS/Android device?

Never tried it but I assume it must - if it doesn't there's some low-hanging fruit for a contribution there.

Mark