Non_Open Source materials being embedded in OS stacks/standalones.

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 13:33:52 EDT 2013

On 04/13/2013 08:21 PM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That is going to be an awful lot of fun for an awful lot of people tracking
>> down things such
>> as clip-art copyright restrictions.
> But that' really no different than it is right now:  you just can't
> distribute something that you don't have aright to distribute.

I am aware of that as anyone, but I think you will find that tracking
down rights to, for instance. images like this:

http://newsresults.in/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/jay-ganpati-bappa-of-newsresults.jpg

are very difficult indeed, especially as a lot of popular, but
copyrighted, images have been
propagated across the internet with no regard to their copyright status
and no indication of
where they originally came from.

For instance, that image I referenced above is also available here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/g9YCDCoXTux3elqSvUr3TdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

(where it appears to originate)

and here:

http://pics5.this-pic.com/key/images%20of%20ganpati

but neither "newsresults" nor "pic5" seems to give any indication of
where this image comes from and/or its copyright status.

AND, quite frankly, I wonder how many of the people who are merrily
jumping onboard with the OSS release are aware of this sort of thing.

 From a personal point of view, I stick to Open Clipart [
http://openclipart.org/ ] or draw the thing
myself, as I really haven't got time to spend working out the copyright
status of each and every picture that catches my fancy on the net.

Richmond.