setting up Linux for LiveCode and other dev questions

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 12 18:59:24 EDT 2013

Colin Holgate wrote:
> Thanks. I'm not sure why I thought I was getting a 64 bit version. It automatically gave me the one I thought I wanted.
>
> I found these instructions somewhere:
>
> sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
> That fixed things, LiveCode installed from the downloads folder just fine. I did do the register stage, given there was no choice, and it seemed to take ok.

Glad to see you got that worked out.  Using LC on Ubuntu is occasionally
annoying, but in general a very good time (as with most things on
Ubuntu, but then again I'm a fan boy <g>).

apt-get is a wonderful tool, and while having to use it for some of the
more specialized packages out there (most are in the Ubuntu Software
Center which is of course a GUI) was annoying for me at first, once you
get the hang of it it's kinda fun.

For me, I began to enjoy apt-get so much that I started pondering
whether we should make a similar tool to run from the LC Message Box for
handling plugins.

If I'm not the only one for whom that sounds like fun, drop me a note
and maybe we can put it together.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World