setting up Linux for LiveCode and other dev questions

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 14:07:14 EDT 2013

On 04/12/2013 08:56 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:
> I renamed the LiveCode installer to be .exe instead of .x86, and then when I double clicked on it it revealed a set of files and folders. One of those is an installer folder, but that only contains a png.
>
> Still looking for help on how to run the installer on Linux!

Well; I set the executable bit via the 'properties' menu (this on GNOME
2 and XFCE), AND
make sure that "READ and WRITE" is set for both the executable's owner
and for my group.

I then wait for 30 seconds (computer, he needs to think with big
electronic brain) before I do a double-click or Right-Click >
Execute/Run, otherwise the system still tries to open it with WINE
Explorer or something else equally daft.

Changing the installer's suffix to .exe is daft as it is NOT a Window's
executable but a Linux one,
and if you have WINE installed all sorts of merry things may then ensue.

I had no problems in this respect; my adventures with the log-in /
phone-home thing are
documented elsewhere.

Richmond.