setting up Linux for LiveCode and other dev questions

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 12 11:42:26 EDT 2013

Colin Holgate-2 wrote
> Which Linux would be best for LiveCode, and for building LiveCode?

I don't think it makes any difference to LiveCode which you choose.  I run
Debian and Fluxbox now, but have also used LC under Gnome.  Also under xfce4
on my laptop.  The only desktop I had problems with was an obscure tiling
WM.  I haven't tried with Enlightenment or FVWM or KDE. Which window manager
is liable to be more important than which distribution.  I also tried the
Windows version in a Win 8 virtual machine under Virtual Box on Linux, and
it seems to work fine.

Virtual Box has a much worse reputation on Macs than either on Windows or
Linux as you probably know.

I did have a problem with one LC version, that it installed itself into /opt
and then would not run without root privileges.  This happened on first
launch with the Community version, but for some inexplicable reason it then
worked fine.

The problem on Linux is resolutions.  When the screen size gets too large,
the dictionary and the UI elements become so small as to be almost
unreadable, and there is no way to enlarge them.  So you have to either go
back not to 800 x 600 but something pretty big.  But I think this will be
the same for any distribution.

A while back I ran LC (Rev as was then) on Slitaz, and it was fine.  If it
runs on that it should run on just about anything.  If you are pushed for
performance, Slitaz is not very user friendly but its fast and it would make
a great basis for an appliance.

I really like Debian.  Have several people on it, and it works fine.  A bit
conservative in release schedule, and you have to fiddle sometimes with
multimedia, but on balance the best you can do.

For something a bit more beginnner friendly I still like PCLinuxOS best, but
Debian is where we end up.