[Bulk] Re: Open Livecode Login

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 02:04:52 EDT 2013

On 12/04/13 08:53, Dave McKee wrote:
> You just never happy are you ?
>
> Hodie Non Cras
>
> On 2013-04-12, at 1:38 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/04/13 00:38, David C. wrote:
>>> Richmond, did you possibly overlook my earlier message from the release
>>> notes that state:
>>>
>>> "Alternatively it is possible to activate the product via the use of a
>>> specially encrypted license file.
>>> These will be available for download from the customer center after logging
>>> into your account. This
>>> method will allow the product to be installed on machines that do not have
>>> access to the internet."
>>>
>>> ...all you need to do is download the file one time and use it with however
>>> many machines you wish, with or without an internet connection. Seems
>>> pretty simple from my end...
>> It is dead simple, but that is not the point, and anybody who has done any reading
>> and thinking about what constitutes Open Source software will be aware that
>> the point is about freedom, pace Hairy Stallman et al.
>>
>> Once we drag in online registration and licenses I get a funny feeling that that maybe
>> the thin end of a wedge which begins to push us away from the concept of Open Source software.
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> David C.
>> This is the first time I have encountered Open Source software that require
>> any sort of licence . . .
>>
>> . . . and the things that make me feel a bit queasy are these:
>>
>> 1. Tracking by RunRev.
>>
>> 2. If I make a fork / mod its distribution could also be tracked.
>>
>> Not, I hesitate to add, that I have all that much to hide, but this begins
>> to look like the British government's surveillance of everybody and the
>> excuse that as we have nothing to hide we shouldn't protest against
>> blatant violations of privacy.
>>
>> 3. "specially encrypted license file"; why on earth is that necessary?
>>
>> Doesn't seem necessary with either GIMP or FONTFORGE, my 2 favourite
>> Open Source weapons of choice.
>>
>> Richmond.

I think that every company needs a gadfly; a role I have happily played
with RunRev for coming on for 12 years,
and after a few initial hiccups, they know full well that I am one of
their greatest fans.

I also know that by pushing something to its extreme it is often
comparatively easy to see where the cracks are
in a system (c.f stress testing).

I am not, take note, using inflammatory phrasing like somebody who wrote
something about $50 and being "pissed off".

For $50 they did very well I would say!

I have "no beef" with LC OSS from a personal point of view, and the
"phone-home" is a bother (only because it seems
to be a bit dicky and takes time) but is neither here nor there.

But whether the phone-home and licensing fits into the OSS model is
another question altogether, and I don't see
what is wrong with pointing out the possible problems connected with that.

Richmond.

Oh, and by the way; it's a lovely sunny day here and I'm going out onto
the balcony with a cup of coffee to listen
to the birds singing.