Open Livecode Login

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 13:56:09 EDT 2013

Hi Mark,

This really looks like a commercial company, who, despite all the
broohahah about releasing an Open Source, Free version of their software
cannot completely let go.

Interestingly enough, I had to reset my RunRev password, that was duly
sent to my e-mail address,
and with that I logged in and was able to download the Linuc, Mac and
Window versions of the new
Livecode. With that, new password I was unable to get the new version
going (as reported eariler) and was also unable to log in to RevOnline
with my commercial version.

I don't know what RunRev are playing at, but they do seem to be trying
to exert some sort of control over there new "baby".

I am wondering how I am going to go about installing it on 8 machines
(which have no internet connexion) in my school.

Paradoxically enough, RunRev version 2.2.1 for Linux that was given away
by Oracle a few years back currently looks a lot better:

1. No need for internet connexion.

2. Code protected standalones.

Maybe I'm naive, but I understand the idea of Open Source to be to allow
people unfettered use of
software (well, fettered only insofar as they have to make their code
available rather than hiding it)
that can be used on a computer in almost any situation.

Software that requires both registration and a subsequent internet
connexion does not seem to fit into that paradigm very well.

Richmond.

Richmond.