V6 against V5

Jacques Hausser jacques.hausser at unil.ch
Wed Apr 10 11:50:51 EDT 2013

Hi Francis,

As I understand it: what you CAN'T do with the 6 free version is to submit applications to the AppleStore (and generally sell or distribute applications  without giving access to your code). What you CAN do with the 6 free version is to benefit of all the upcoming evolution of LC, and even dig in the code itself (through GitHub). What you CAN'T do is to keep your code encrypted and protected by password when you distribute or sell it…
With the 5.5 version, you can submit applications to the AppleStore, and generally sell applications with password protected code.
I'm sure that Runrev will provide arrangements or compensation for people like you (and me) who code mostly for fun and did pay a commercial license.

More (very detailed) information - not entirely clear, however:

   http://www.runrev.com/products/Open-Source/Which-Version-Do-I-Need

HTH

Jacques

Le 10 avr. 2013 à 16:53, Francis Nugent Dixon <effendi at wanadoo.fr> a écrit :

> Hi from very rainy (but Beautiful) Brittany,
>
> I'm a tad confused. I bought into Revolution some
> years ago (version 2), after many years of programming
> in Hypercard. I love LiveCode and can't do without it !
> I have my Internet sites housed in the "on-rev" service
> and back up my data into my "server". But this is a paid
> service (and worth every penny I laid out), and has
> nothing to do with Free V6 !
>
> I don't sell what I build (although I code every day).
> I programmed professionally for many years, and
> although I am retired, I still get a kick out of writing
> programs. All I do stays in my computers, although I
> create .app and .exe versions for ease of use with
> my various computers.
>
> Now, my questions !  What CAN'T I do with V6 (free)
> LiveCode, that I CAN do with the 5.5 Personal version ?
>
> What CAN I do with V6 (free), that I CAN'T do with my
> paid 5.5 Personal version ?
>
> If I don't lose anything with free V6 (and later), how
> many current paying clients does Revolution estimate
> losing with the free version (including me), with respect
> to enticing new clients to try V6 and then go to the
> Professional Version. Is this not an economic risk ?
>
> I am not rocking the boat, I'm just very curious.
>
> -Francis
>
> "Nothing should ever be done for the first time !".

Prof. Jacques Hausser
Department of Ecology and Evolution
Biophore / Sorge
University of Lausanne