[OT] New pricing (GPL issues)

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Tue Apr 9 09:29:19 EDT 2013

We are looking at providing a very simple OSS license specifically for
free, non-profit, not ad supported, non-promotional open source apps in
the Mac/iOS app store. We'll probably go down the route of charging a $25
administration fee to supply an open license that lets you do this for
apps you specifically name. We're still working through the legal
implications of this though as we have to be careful it doesn't undermine
the whole model by providing our platform binaries under a license without
the enforced freedoms in GPL that, while incompatible with the App store,
are also make our model work in all other contexts. More on this soon.

In terms of having someone with the commercial platform build an app for
you, we've prohibited that in our updated commercial EULA. Otherwise any
one of you could set up shop and build apps for anyone which would
circumvent the GPL. We would only need to sell a single license. Please
don't do this or encourage others to do it! Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can code