[OT] New pricing

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Apr 7 14:50:27 EDT 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_and_open-source_iOS_applications

 > Some of these are based on GPL which is, as I understand it, the same as
 > Runrev will be using for the Community Edition of LiveCode.

The review process at Apple is notoriously capricious. Given how widely
varying reviews are with regard to Apple's own policies, it wouldn't be
surprising if some, perhaps many, of Apple's employees were unfamiliar
with the Free Software Foundation's findings of incompatibility between
the GPL and Apple's App Store policies:

GPL Enforcement in Apple's App Store
http://www.fsf.org/news/2010-05-app-store-compliance

No GPL Apps for Apple's App Store
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/no-gpl-apps-for-apples-app-store/8046

The GPL, the App Store, and you
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/09/the-gpl-the-app-store-and-you/

FSF: Apple’s iTunes Store terms of service at odds with GPL
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2010/05/fsf-apples-itunes-store-terms-of-service-at-odds-with-gpl/

If Apple has recently changed their policies so they no longer have the
distribution limits that had made it incompatible with the GPL, that
would be welcome news. But I wasn't able to turn up any info suggesting
that, so the items in the Wikipedia article you linked to seem to be
well-intentioned people who simply don't follow the news from the FSF,
and Apple staff who apparently have a tough time keeping up with the
ever-changing and inconsistently-applied rules there.

--
Richard Gaskin
Fourth World Systems