Card Names

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Thu Sep 27 20:31:34 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

> IMO, I don't think it's a good idea to name things using "id xyz" since
> that's a specific way to refer to objects.  In theory you could name a
> card "card id 4001" while its id is 1004, but that seems like a recipe for
> confusion.  Just like it's not a good idea to name a control using only a
> number because it's possible for scripts to get confused, i.e. button "7".

I'd definitely agree with that, which it all the more strange that the IDE
does it.

> In any event, watch what happens if you delete the name of an object that
> was previously named -- it shows up in the inspector as "button id 1004"
> or similar.  The card referencing behavior is consistent with objects: if
> a control has no name, refer to it by its id.

Interesting.  I've never deleted the name of a control (at least knowingly)
so have never seen that behavior.  It's not quite the same as cards since
newly created controls do get a real name assigned to them like "button" or
"field".  Despite the consistency aspect, I still think it's strange
behavior.

No problem referring to a card by it's ID when it has no name - the trick
is how to figure out that it has no name since there is nothing to stop
someone naming a card in a way that makes it look like the
default-but-non-existent name.  I just switched over to using card IDs
instead of names. This is in my lcStackBrowser plugin so I have no control
over how someone names their objects.