[OT] developing Livecode stuff away from the computer.

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 13:00:26 EDT 2012

Just back from a wonderful day pruning the vines and the cherry trees,
knocking down
all the walnuts out of our trees, and picking some, very, late peaches
.  . . .

This allowed me, halfway up a cherry tree, while sawing off a dead branch,
to muse on programming and a particular problem to do with a logical
flow-chart to do with the way Sanskrit is written using the Grantha script,
an even more recherche (sorry, cannot seem to find the acute accented E
over here on
UbuntuStudio) writing system than Devanagari, in a way I have been quite
unable
to fathom sitting in front of an accursed VDU and keyboard .  .  .

climbed down from my cherry tree (lovely yellow cherries in early May,
with just a hint,
a blush, of pink - absolutely 'perfick' [as quoth Pop Larkin - see H. E.
Bates "The Darling Buds of May"
and following for at least 5 volumes] with some fairly strong Cheddar
cheese) and found some old
newspaper lying around, and drew out the flow-chart (thanks to "Bonehead
Barker" my Maths teacher
of 37 years ago at King's College, Taunton) that cut the mustard, and,
now, having written this
poetic homily to programming up cherry trees, will implement it in my
"weapon of choice", a.k.a
Runtime Revolution, a.k.a Livecode.

OK, OK, I admit it, half the problem was with the Grantha writing system
(and those of you who are familiar with the Malayalam language will get
my drift), and half of the problem was with Livecode;
the third half (pace Douglas Adams' 5 volume Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy Trilogy) being something
inside my brain, and the fourth half [that being the thorniest] was the
interface between the niceties of the Grantha writing system and the
niceties of implementation in Livecode.

You have my permission to interpret 'niceties' in as negative or as
positive a way as you like.

-----------------------------------
Health Warning
-----------------------------------

No alcohol or other narcotic substance was consumed prior or during the
composition
of this message; all vagaries and Samuel Taylor Coleridgeisms [pace
Xanadu] must be
ascribed to the absolutely hallucinatory effects caused by intense
concentration on
programming problems while up cherry trees - and, I didn't fall out!

And the lesson for today is: best programming practice is keep away from
computers until
you have everything worked out in advance.

Here endeth the lesson.

Rev. Richmond.