Sending an email with a file attachment

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 14 11:13:05 EDT 2012

Warren Samples wrote:

> On 09/14/2012 08:13 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Maybe I'm coming in late to this thread, but if the body of the email is
>> less than 1k have you considered just sending it along as a param in the
>> url?:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>    put "someone at somewhere.com" into tAddress
>>    put "Hello!" into tSubject
>>    put "This is the body"&cr&"of the email." into tBody
>>    put "mailto:"& tAddress & "?" \
>>        &  "subject="& tSubject &"&" \
>>        & "body="& tBody into tEmailURL
>>    launch url tEmailURL
>> end mouseUp
> This script causes unexpected problems here. It launches KMail on my
> system despite my having Thunderbird properly set as the default system
> email client. What happens if no desktop client is being used? (I
> honestly don't know, I have never been one of those people who use
> web-based mail.) Can one be assured that that behavior will be
> consistent? A second problem on my system, running Linux, is that the
> body is not inserted into the message. This seems to be related to the
> number of parameters the system will pass to the email client. It
> accepts only two, apparently. So, recipient's address + (pick one: cc,
> subject OR body). revMail also behaves exactly this way here.

Those are all good points, but I suspect there would be even more issues
trying to get consistent behavior with managing the OS mechanism for
copy-and-paste into email clients on all those platforms.

Probably the most reliable method would be to write a quick CGI to
receive the data, and have the dialog stack post it there over HTTP.

That seems to be how this sort of thing is handled most often.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World