revGoURL vs Launch URL and multitasking on iPad

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Sep 12 18:06:36 EDT 2012

On 9/12/12 6:17 AM, stgoldberg at aol.com wrote:

> Some of the apps I'm working on for iPhone and iPad contain links to
> specific URLs on the Internet.  However, at least on my iPad 1
> (Version 5.1.1), when closing the Internet browser, I am not taken
> back to the original card in the LiveCode app that has the link.
> Rather, everytime I quit the browser, I have to reopen the LiveCode
> app from scratch and then navigate to the card that has the link.
> This is inefficient. Does anyone know if this problem has been
> corrected with newer versions of the iPad?  Does the problem also
> exist with Android (which I don't have), which I understand is better
> at multitasking?  Thanks.

This is the "suspend" feature which LiveCode doesn't yet support.
Whenever your app closes it will effectively quit. It happens on both
iOS and Android, except that Android doesn't always quit your app
whereas iOS always does. But on Android you can't count on your app
remaining open in the background, since the OS will close it whenever it
needs RAM.

The workaround is to store the name or number of the card in a text file
on disk in a shutdown handler when the app closes. Read that file and go
to that card when the app opens.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com