[OT] EULA and legality

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 09:39:13 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Peter Alcibiades <
palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> What is needed is an EU case in which either running the thing in a VM or
> on
> the wrong sort of hardware was ruled breach of contract and some kind of
> ruling made.  I don't know of one.  Maybe someone else does.  Lets hear it.

The closest I can think of is the EU banning smart chips in printer
cartridges that prevented users from using non-OEM cartridges. I am not
that familiar with the case but on the surface the whole decision had
nothing to do with the legality of the manufacture requiring the use of OEM
parts (car and plane manufactures do it all the time) but was more about
recycling. Here, it is a post purchase restriction that you use OEM
cartridges, or else you void the warranty. In the EU if a non-OEM cartridge
fails (leaks, heads clog) and damages the printer is the manufacturer still
required to repair the printer in the warranty period?

Peter, I'm just wander what you think the EU make of these Runrev post
sales restrictions:

1) Basically you can use LiveCode as an individual on as many computers as
you own, or you can use it on one computer with multiple users. You may not
switch between methods of use at any time.

I assume you believe Runrev has no right to tell you how many computers you
can install LC on and whether or not the computer can be in single or multi
use.

2) Basically LiveCode has certain limits built in, such as you can't use a
script to modify another script by more than 10 lines.

I assume you believe Runrev has no right to limit what you do with the code
you write. Now I know that Runrev will quite happily negotiate a change in
those limits if your particular circumstance warrants it, but that is still
a negotiated settlement and would be a limit set by Runrev, what you are
suggesting is in the EU Runrev has no right to include that 10 line limit.