Morality, Honesty and Legality

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Wed Sep 12 08:11:52 EDT 2012

On Apple hardware, or non-Apple HW?  Sheepshaver was around for Mac, Win,
Linux, and Amiga since way back when.  There were debates about it even
then.  Since there were no intel Macs, the Mac version only ran well on the
higher-end Quadra, but could use a ROM from a IIci, etc.  The consensus of
the masses was if you owned either a IIci or at least the ROM chips from
that machine, or you had the IIci switched off (using only one machine at a
time), it was legal - but still a gray area, and never endorsed by Apple.

My Amiga had a hardware solution to the emulation scenario.  Mine was
equipped with the "Emplant" Mac emulation board, by Jim Drew.  This board
had a row of sockets on the board to hold the Mac ROM chips.  Ironically,
Mr. Drew later sued the maker of Sheepshaver for stealing portions of
"Emplant" code to make Sheepshaver (a software only solution).

The "Emplant" was awesome.  It delivered a real Mac experience - inside my
Amiga at real Mac speeds, and the hardware had an on-board SCSI chip, and
two Mac serial ports (for my 1200-baud modem - HAHA).  Wow, that was such
fun!  It was like running a VM, but before VMs had really happened.  The
Amiga was way ahead of its time, and died because of greedy management who
had no idea of their products potential.

To the original question on the legality of Sheepshaver, it probably still
comes down to whether you also own the original machine you are emulating,
and whether it is switched off.  If legality as far as Apple is concerned,
implies that one must comply with the wishes of Apple, then Classic is
dead, and should stay dead.  But I don't believe that.  If you like classic
(or need it), and you aren't hurting anyone by running it, then why the
heck not?

~Roger