[OT] EULA and legality

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 11 10:20:00 EDT 2012

Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Go into a store and buy OSX or Windows, you bought it.  That, I believe, is
> what any EU court will rule if it ever comes to that, and that, I believe,
> is why it never will come to that.

An unnameable source once told me that an Apple VP leaned over the table
after a long discussion involving accusations that they had stolen his
ideas and told him, "We have more lawyers than engineers.  Bring it on."

I don't know the exact ratio of lawyers to engineers, but I do know the
lawyers they have seem quite worth their fee.

Perhaps in anticipation of the moment you describe, it's no longer
possible to walk into a store and buy the OS.

Macs ship with OS X preinstalled, and upgrades are purchasable over the
wire through iTunes.

It's no longer a product per se, but merely an extension of their
support services.

Clever, that.

"Bring it on."

--